Excavations at Phylakopi in Melos 1974-77
Author: Andrew Colin Renfrew ()1937- ) signed letter
Publisher: British School at Athens
xvi+521+[61 plates] pages with frontispiece, figures (some folding), tables, charts, maps, appendices, bibliography and index. Folio (12" x 8 1/4") bound in original publisher's brown cloth with gilt lettering to spine in original pectoral jacket. British School at Athens Supplementary Volume, 42. Co-edited by Neil Brodie, Christine Morris and Chris Scarre. Signed letter from Colin Renfrew laid in. First edition.
The British School at Athens (BSA) has a long and distinguished link with the island of Melos. Cecil Harcourt-Smith made a preliminary visit to the island in January 1896 and this led to a series of excavations, first in the main urban centre and then at the site of Phylakopi. By the end of the first season Harcourt-Smith could note, “we have already found enough to show that the mound covered the remains of a prehistoric fortress or palace of the utmost importance”. Three more seasons were conducted by Duncan Mackenzie (1897-99) and the final report was published in 1904. short season of work was carried out by Richard M. Dawkins in 1911. The BSA resumed worked at Phylakopi in 1974 and continued there until 1977. This volume presents the results of the more recent excavations, excluding the sanctuary.
Martin Sinclair Frankland Hood (1917-2021), generally known as Sinclair Hood, was a British archaeologist and academic. He was Director of the British School of Archaeology at Athens from 1954 to 1962, and led the excavations at Knossos from 1957 to 1961.
Letter to Sinclair Hood signed Colin laid in. Corners gently bumped. Jacket with edge wear and closed tear at back head edge else near fine in like jacket.
We Also Recommend
Contributions to North American Ethnology, Volume VI: The Cegiha Language
Regular price $75.00 $75.00