Catálogo de construcciones artísticas, civiles y religiosas de Morelia
Author: Ramirez Romero, Esperanza
Publisher: Coedición de la Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo y Fonapas Michoacán
Place: Mexico City
xxii+398 pages with photographs, many large fold-out plans, illustrations and index. Oblong royal octavo (9 1/4" x 10") bound in original publisher's green cloth with original pictorial jacket. First edition limited to 2000 copies.
Morelia is a city and municipality in the north central part of the state of Michoacán in central Mexico. The Spanish took control of the area in the 1520s. The Spanish under Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza founded a settlement here in 1541 with the name of Valladolid, which became rival to the nearby city of Pátzcuaro for dominance in Michoacán. In 1580, this rivalry ended in Valladolid's favor and it became the capital of the colonial province. After the Mexican War of Independence, the city was renamed Morelia in honor of José María Morelos, who hailed from the city. In 1991, the city was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its well-preserved colonial buildings and layout of the historic center.
What would become the city of Morelia was founded by Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza and a number of encomenderos in 1541, who first named it Nueva Ciudad de Mechuacan (New City of Michoacán). The newly founded settlement grew quickly, prompting Vasco de Quiroga to go to Spain and procure for rival settlement Pátzcuaro the title of city and a seal, to prevent "new city" from becoming the capital of Michoacán. The action also required that the new settlement change its name to Guayangareo. In 1545, Guayangareo gained city status from Charles V in 1545 with the name of Valladolid, after the hometown of Antonio de Mendoza. This was part of a power struggle between Antonio de Mendoza and Vasco de Quiroga over the province of Michoacán. During Quiroga's lifetime, he managed to keep political and ecclesiastical power in Pátzcuaro despite the viceroy's and encomenderos' objections. However, Quiroga died in 1565. By 1580, both political and religious authority (Episcopal see) had been transferred to the city of Valladolid, moving the College of San Nicolás, which Vasco founded and laying the groundwork for establishing a new cathedral for the province. The 17th century saw growth for Valladolid, with the construction of the cathedral and aqueduct. The cathedral was begun in 1640 (finished in 1744) and the aqueduct in 1657. During the 17th century, many of the city's large churches and monasteries were established, such as the monasteries of San Francisco, San Agustin, El Carmen and La Merced as well as the convents of Las Rosas, Las Monjas and Capuchinas. Churches include La Compañía, San Juan and La Cruz, but the most important structure built during this time period was the Cathedral. The location of this cathedral defined the composition and development of the city from then on. At the end of the colonial period, Valladolid was a small city with about 20,000 inhabitants. It was also an educational center with four important schools such as the College of San Nicolás. These schools would turn out scholars such as Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla and José María Morelos y Pavón, who were sympathetic to the new republican ideas coming out of post-revolution France and United States. Demonstrations against Spanish rule had been occurring in the town in 1809, culminating in the Conspiracy of 1809. This plot was discovered, with the main conspirators were arrested and sent to other parts of New Spain, which helped to spread republican ideas. One year later, after forming his army in Guanajuato state, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla arrived and took over the city, proclaiming the end of slavery in Mexico. The city was taken back by royalist forces soon after. Morelos came here to try and dislodge the royalists but was defeated by Agustín de Iturbide. Another prominent figure in the war, Mariano Matamoros was shot by firing squad on the city's main square in 1814. The city remained in royalist hands until 1821, Iturbide, who had switched sides, and Vicente Guerrero entered the city with the Trigarante Army. In 1828, the newly created state of Michoacán changed the name of the city from Valladolid to Morelia, in honor of Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon. This is the official name it retains today, although its Purapecha name remains Uaianarhio and has had nicknames such as City of Pink (Cantera) Stone, the City of Open Doors, The Rose of the Winds, The Garden of New Spain and religiously as Morelia of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The city became a municipality in 1831.
Jacket points rubbed and lightly chipped, closed edge tears at back heal with crease else a near fine copy in a better than very good jacket.
We Also Recommend
Títulos y sucesiones de la casa llamada de Santa Inés, situada a la entrada de la ciudad de Tlalpan, (Records of Casa Santa Inés in Tlalpan)
Manual de administrar los sanctos sacramentos a los Españoles y naturales desta Nueva España
The Seventeen Years of Travels of Peter de Cieza through the Mighty Kingdom of Peru, and the Large Provinces of Carthagena and Popayan in South America
Historia Antigua Y Moderna De Jalapa Y De Las Revoluciones Del Estado De Veracruz