Voyage à la partie orientale de la Terre-Ferme, dans l'Amérique Méridionale, fait pendant les Années 1801, 1802, 1803 et 1804
Publisher: F. Buisson
3 volumes. 358 pages with frontispiece fold out map; 469 pages; 362 pages with three foldout plans. Octavo (8 1/4" x 5 1/4") bound in later half brown morocco over marbled boards, the top edge gilt, five raised spine bands with lettering in gilt. (Palau 70507; Sabin 19641) First edition.
François Raymond Depons born in Soustons, France in 1751. In 1781 he took up residence in Santo Domingo. Following the revolution in Santo Domingo he emigrated to Venezuela in 1801. Shortly thereafter he assumed the post of political and diplomatic correspondent of the French government in Caracas. Remained on the mainland until July 1804. The writing of the work that we present today probably began in Caracas, and concluded in France in late 1805. The following year was published in France under the title: Voyage à la partie orientale de la Terre-Ferme, dans l'Amérique Méridionale, fait pendant les années 1801, 1802, 1803, et 1804; contenant the description of Caracas composée capitaniere générale des provinces of Venezuela, Maracaibo, Varinas, the Guiane espagnole, Cumaná et de l'ile Marguerite and the English edition in 1807 with the name: Travels in South America, During The years 1801, 1802, 1803, and 1804, containing a description of the captain generalship of Caracas, and an account of the discovery, conquest, topography, legislature, commerce, finance and natural productions of the country; with a view of the manners and customs of the Spaniards and the native indians. London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, 2 vols. Depons was probably a French agent, but was very well received by the Spanish authorities and by the Creole circles, with which he was intimately acquainted. He used a lot of documentation provided by the Venezuelan governor and his book is essential knowledge of the agriculture, trade and late-colonial politics. Three years after returning to France, he was appointed member of the Academic Science Society of Paris and Athenian of the Arts. In 1808 he tried to be the French representative in Caracas, but was unsuccessful.
The Explorers Club is an American-based international multidisciplinary professional society with the goal of promoting scientific exploration and field study. The club was founded in New York City, and has served as a meeting point for explorers and scientists worldwide. In 1904, a group of men active in exploration met at the request of Henry Collins Walsh, to form an organization to unite explorers in the bonds of good fellowship and to promote the work of exploration by every means in its power. Among these men were Adolphus Greely, Donaldson Smith, Henry Collins Walsh, Carl Lumholtz, Marshall Saville, Frederick Dellenbaugh, and David Brainard. After several further informal meetings, The Explorers Club was incorporated on October 25, 1905. Women were first admitted in 1981, with a class including Sylvia Earle and Kathryn Sullivan.
Provenance Explorers Club with bookplate to pastedown and blind-stamps to title, map and occasional text leaves, early ink ownership signatures, map with some foxing and a tape repair to verso, some wear to joints and extremities, some end papers detached else a very good set.
We Also Recommend
Clara y sucinta exposicion del pequeño catecismo : impreso en el idioma mexicano siguiendo el orden mismo de sus preguntas y respuestas, para le mejor instruccion de los feligreses Indios, y de los que comienzan á aprender dicho idioma
Ordenanzas para el govierno de la labor de monedas, que se fabricaren en la Real Casa de Moneda de Mexico
Memorias para la Historia Natural de California Relacion del Padre Manuel de la Vega