The Land Called Chicora: The Carolinas Under Spanish Rule with French Intrusions 1520-1670
Publisher: University of Florida Press
xii+153 pages with frontispiece, maps and diagrams. Royal octavo (9 1/4" x 6 1/4") issued in blue cloth with gilt lettering to spine. From the library of Dr Donald Worcester. First edition
One of the little known but important Spanish explorations of the east coast of what is now the United States is that of Lucas Vazquez de Ayllon in 1526. The area was known as the "Land of Chicora," and its boundaries where then as now uncertain. On a basis of scattered and fragmentary records the author fits together the facts he has found to make a fascinating story of Spanish, French (Huguenots), and English precarious settlements and colonial contentions in the area often referred to in the sixteenth century as "La Florida," but now known as the Carolinas. As everywhere in the Americas, the Spaniards, were looking for gold and riches of all kinds, but Ayllon was looking for the River Jordan, with the result that on the inaccurate and incomplete maps of the time the name of this illusive stream was given to every river of consequence from Cape Fear to the Savannah. And of course no one found it. Nor are we completely sure of the exact location of the first Spanish settlement, San Miguel de Gualdape, founded by Ayllon. However, the author makes out a good case for the site of this first Spanish settlement in the present area of the United States on the lower Waccamaw Neck across Winyah Bay from the present Georgetown, South Carolina.
Dr Worcesters stamp on front end paper, half title and signature on the frontispiece verso. A very good copy in a very good to fine jacket.
We Also Recommend
Aromatum, et simplicium aliquot medicamentorum apud Indos nascentium historia
Cedula Real (royal decree) of 1770 Instruccion de Indias (Prohibition of indigenous languages)
Noticias Sacadas de un Mss Intitulado Relaciones de todas las cosas que en el Nuevo Mexico se han visto y sabido asi por mar como por tierra desde el año 1538 el de 1626