Glorias de queretaro: en la fundacion y admirables progresos de la muy i. y ven. congregacion eclesiástica de presbit́eros seculares de Maria Santiśima de Guadalupe and Adiciones a la Glorias de Queretaro
Author: Carlos de Sigüenza y Góngora (1645-1700); José Maria Zelaa é Hidalgo and Jose Maria Zella
Publisher: En la Oficina de D. Mariano Joseph de Zuniga y Ontiveros and Imprenta de Arizpe
Place: Mexico City
2 volumes. 8 sheets+235+ pages with folding map and folding plate. Octavo (8 1/4" x 5 3/4") bound Original leather with Adiciones a la Glorias de Queretaro by Jose Maria Zella (1810) +94+[4 index]pages. (Sabin; see also Guillermina Ramirez Montes, Ninas, doncellas, virgenes eternas Santa Clara de Queretaro (1607-1864), Mexico, D.F.: Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, 2005, p355)
Second edition, revised and enlarged and first edition.
The first edition came out in Mexico in 1680. A 1668 edition is said to have been published, but Medina states that it is a ghost. The first edition did not have the map or plate.
The work deals with the history and geography of Queretaro, its more distinguished inhabitants and its buildings. Special attention is devoted to the history of the construction of the church of Santa Maria de Guadalupe and the celebrations held to inaugurate the church are described in detail.
Mapa plano de la Ciudad de Santiago de Queretaro Ano de 1802. [Key to major cities and coat of arms at upper left] Explicacion. According to a note on p. 135, the editor states that by a happy accident a friend has given him a Queretaro map done in 1770 by Ignacio Mariano Casas and that he has included it here with corrections bringing it up to the present date. First edition of the map.
Both volumes rarely found together. Old book plate to front paste down, corners bumped and rubbed through, spine ends rubbed old sticker to spine, some scuffing to leather. Map trimmed with slight loss of right border else a very good set. Eleven copies found on Worldcat, no copies of the Adiciones found of the first edition and ten copies of the second edition published in 1859.